Posted on August 16, 2011 - by Nicole Humphrey Cook
In the middle of writing a chapter and something happens unexpected? Did a character say or do something you didn’t see coming? Perhaps it was something that made you realize he or she is not who you thought they were.
Are you looking to get to know each of your characters better? For fun, try asking them these 30 questions and you might just get the answers you’re looking for. Be as detailed as you can for each character and it will make writing them, so much easier.
- Tell me about yourself in detail.
- Who are your parents? Tell me about them in detail.
- Do you have siblings? Tell me about them.
- Who is your best friend? Why? What makes them special? What do you like about them/not like about them?
- Who was your first love? Your second love? Why? What made these relationships work and subsequently not work?
- Tell me about your first kiss. Who was it with? What made it special/awful/perfect/memorable?
- What is your definition of love?
- What are your dreams?
- What did you eat for breakfast today? And lunch? And Dinner? Are these typical meals for you?
- It’s 8pm, tell me about your day today in detail.
- Tell me about your week so far.
- Tell me about this month so far.
- What did you wear today? Describe what you wore in detail and then explain what your favorite thing to wear is.
- Describe a special moment.
- Tell me about your favorite memory.
- When is your birthday? Tell me about your favorite birthday so far?
- What are your beliefs in life?
- Tell me about your most memorable first ____? You fill in the blank.
- What are your short term goals? Long term goals?
- What do you regret having said or done? Tell me about it.
- Tell me about your favorite childhood memory.
- What upsets you or makes you angry? Why?
- What makes you cry? Why?
- What do you do to make yourself feel better when you’re having a bad day?
- What are you scared of? What do you worry about?
- Describe your favorite place in detail. Why is it your favorite place?
- Do you miss someone? Tell me who it is and why.
- Do you miss something? Tell me what it is and why.
- What kind of vehicle/mode of transportation do you drive? What’s currently in your vehicle, if applicable? Be sure and check the glove box, the center console, the trunk and the seat pockets. Check under the seats too! Why is each item there?
- What’s in your bag? Purse? Tote? Backpack? etc. Why is each item there?
Leave a Reply
Here's your chance to speak.